The brutality of Prince William, Duke of Cumberland at the Battle of Culloden earned him the title 'Butcher Cumberland'.

The handsome Georgian town of Stamford lies on the Great North Road, now the A1, between London and Edinburgh. On 4 January 1746 the duke stopped here to change horses.  He was returning from Carlisle which he had retaken from Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Young Pretender, after the Jacobite rising in 1745.

The great Lincolnshire antiquarian William Stukely witnessed his arrival:

His R. Highness was drest in blew. He has not been in bed, since he set out from Carlisle. Our town complimented his R.H. with a vast throng & loud huzza’s & bells ringing etc.

Almost 100 of the Jacobite rebels who had been captured during the fighting were taken to await their fate at Lincoln Castle.

The Duke passed through Stamford again in April 1746, after his victory over the Jacobites at Culloden, a battle infamous for its savagery.

Lincolnshire places with royal tales to tell

9 Connections